Rewind for a minute: When Garrett was first diagnosed we had meeting after meeting, test after test and lots of tears and questions on my part. I was trying to fill in Philip while muddling through my own questions. It was ridiculous, to say the least. I remember many of those feelings and frustrations. One in particular stands out. His very first IEP meeting. He was 4 -- I was clueless - it was awful. I remember calling my babysitter to see if I could stay gone a bit longer. After the meeting I hit Mc Donalds for fries, Taco Bell for a burrito, Burger King for a burger -- and so on(I'm a professional emotional eater:)) I hit every drive through in town, driving aimlessly in between each one...all the while crying. It was pretty sad......and then the learning and teaching began.
Back to today: After this IEP -- Philip was there with me....we both left on cloud nine. Garrett's whole team had nothing but positive to say about him. In 2nd grade he "graduated" out of Resource Reading, then this year he has "graduated out of OT and Speech...which means less transitions (awful for aspergers kids) and more time in his normal class to learn to follow social cues and regular instruction...yeah!:) The team stated obvious concerns and ideas to help him -- but overall it was a very positive meeting. They also filled us in on several of our (ulcer causing) questions regarding Jr. High since he will be going there next year.
Here's the best part...when we got out of the meeting his teacher came bounding back in the room. She said "Garrett got chosen for Wildcat of the Week!" I'm pretty sure we were all more excited than he was. They were in the office taking pics with the Principal and all that attention was just too much for him...but he made it through. Philip and I were so proud....SO proud. His certificate says "Garrett was chosen for his positive attitude. He always seems to maintain a great attitude in class. He sets a wonderful example for his peers. Congratulations Garrett!"
Ahhh-- another pay day.
Don't get me wrong -- I think my ulcer is acting up as I type this -- because he still tends to get more of my worry than anyone/thing else. But it's times like this that make me feel like "it's all gonna be okay."
We love our Garrett!

8 comments:
Congratulations to Garrett for graduating out of the different parts of Resource. It is such an awesome feeling as a teacher to know that a student has excelled in various areas and no longer needs the services. It is quite an accomplishment on his part :)
Great job Garrett! You're awesome! It sounds like you guys are doing well.We miss you and we miss seeing you at the family get togethers. You are in our prayers and we know you are where you need to be. We love you!
Love,
Ryan and Sam
Hugs! What great strides and I am glad that they are on board to help him still! Those meetings would stress me out too. You are great parents. Can't wait to see you soon!
congratulation Garrett!! I don't think I was ever voted anything like that growing up..how cool for you! I'm going to try to remember to call you tonight to talk about it...I love you always and forever no matter what:)! Mimi
That's so great! Paydays are especially rewarding with these boys!
Way to go Garrett!!!!!!! You are
awesome!!!!! Big Hugs for you. We
love you very much. Keep up the
good work. Way to go Philip and
Megan for being loving, careing
parents. Hope we can get down there
soon.
Love Iris
I could tell, Garrett has been making a lot of progress, even before you all moved to Nevada. He is such a good boy and he has great and loving parents and siblings. We are proud of you all and know that our and your prayers are being answered. Just keep on keeping on and always look for the bright side of things.
Love you all and always,
I am catching up on the posts. I loved talking with after you meeting that day. I LOVED hearing about your great meeting. But, more than anything, loved the sound of your voice.
You and Phil are great parents, and have wonderful kids.
We love you all! See you soon.
Post a Comment