Thursday, June 5, 2008

The best news I've heard in a while!

I was talking to a stay at home Dad at the gym today. He practiced as an architect for about 10 years -- his wife completed Medical School and during her residency she had their first of two boys. He said it seemed right for him to retire from his corporate "fly here fly there" life and stay home with the boys.

I asked "So, how do they compare?"

He says "Staying home is mentally exhausting. I feel like a social dork most of the time. I don't get to talk to adults very much so in social situations with other adults I feel really dumb."

As I was TRYING to workout my shoulders I LAUGHED OUT LOUD in excitement. "So I'm not a natural social dork....I've been in training for almost 9 years!!"

Oh this is great news! I think I can be content being a social (blogging) dork as long as I'm in good company!:)

(be nice when you comment on this one!:))

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're not a dork!
Michelle ;)

Jenn said...

Oh my word, this is so true! I swear I get 'stupider' (my own special word) when trying to talk to other grown ups every year!
You are not a dork, btw - it's great to get confirmation that hanging around kids can turn into, how shall we say, a less than maturely prepared adult in social situations. Did that work?

meegz said...

Well stated Jenn!

Bart said...

Personally I like self-acknowleged dorks, especially if they became that way by loving their kids and spending lots of time with them..

Jamie said...

great - now I have to keep practicing til I break 90 ;) BTW, I didn't know you taught piano. That is awesome! I plan on taking lessons. Someday.

Ryan Eborn said...

Thanks for that story, it hit the nail right on the head for me. There have been many times when I have felt that way, not knowing how to socialize properly with adults. I think your great and I always have a lot of fun when I am around you, so keep up the good work!:)

sonny said...

Megan, you are far less of a dork than I. You socialize great and you can talk to anyone. I am so reserved and insecure. I am a dork much more so. Maybe it's because I've been unsocial a bit longer. Addison is 12- so I've been out of the social loop way too long. I hope to think that I am getting to be less of a dork, atleast I am trying. You're awesome. Thanks for the cute posts.

Anonymous said...

So what's my excuse? How did I get to be such a dork? Do you think it's from hanging around Jared so much?

Shana

meegz said...

okay let's see --
Bart -- I like you too:)
Jaime -- you go ahead and TRY:)
Sam -- if there's a way to properly socialize -- I am in TROUBLE. YIKES...
Alison -- sometimes I get sick of hearing my own voice:) LOL --I think maybe the grass is always greener.but yes, you do have 4 years on me!:)
Shana -- hmmm? I could go a long way with the Jared thing -- but NAH. You're not a dork -- just NICE!(although any Mom should fit in this category):)

We are all gonna be just FINE --
RIGHT?!?!?!?!?

Sals said...

haaaa...that's so funny!!