The night before the race -- the kids were with Philip camping, my Dad had arrived from AZ and I was filled with nerves. Who knew that running could cause such nerves?? I set the alarm for 3:30 AM and I was off to sleep (I soon found out I was lucky to be able to sleep, as some of my fellow runners didn't sleep more than 3 hours)
I drove a carpool up to Ogden -- Paul Otto, Randilyn Jacobs, Kim Routson and Candice Stone. We traded band-aids, water and stories about our nerves all the way up. I realized my first mistake when Paul, who has run 10 marathons, got in the car. I brought the wrong bag! I thought I was being smart by bringing a throw away Target bag, well apparently the "cool" marathoners know better and bring the bag they give you at the registration booth the day before.:) Okay, so now they all know I'm a first timer. I got there and seriously everyone had their "proper bag" and I had my Target bag. Not really too embarrassing, but it gave me a joke for the morning -- to keep my mind off the feeling of needing to throw up!
We walked straight to the bus and headed up. The bus ride seemed to last an eternity! When we arrived to the cow patty pasture(literally) they had fire barrels everywhere along with a TON of porta potties. It was quite a sight!:) A few times in line for the porta potty and lots of chatting around the fire with out of towners, locals, first time runners & pros and before I knew it we were headed for the start line. It was surreal -- the moment I had been training for and yet it was like a scary ride that I just wanted to get off!!
We heard the LOUD BOOM and we were off. A SEA of runners(about 1,850) were all around us. All you could hear was feet pounding. It took a few minutes to actually cross the start line -- and we were off!
Candace, Randilyn and I started out together. We made it to about mile 10 together. We had some good laughs, did some embarrassing things, and enjoyed our run. Somewhere after 10 Randilyn decided to drop out and go on her own. Candace and I ran together until somewhere around mile 17 or 20 -- I know that's a wide spread, but it was a little blurry at that point. I dropped out and went on my own. Candace kept on pushing on -- I did a bit more walking.
I ended up walking a lot on miles 23-26 because my quads were KILLING me. I felt like my feet were going to fall off(or I wished someone would cut them off!:)) but I kept on. When I was training I kept thinking that my adrenaline would get me through to the end --- I decided that adrenaline can't keep you going if you have NONE!:) I finished with a little run and felt GREAT about it!
As a recap of how my body felt -- Miles 1-10: GREAT, Miles 10-13: pretty good, mile 14: walked a lot (it's uphill), mile 15-17: - okay, mile 17-20: hanging in there, 20-24: pretty dang tired: 24-26: I'm gonna DIE! 26.2 - GREAT!!!
The day after: SORE QUADS...but I feel great other than that. I'd better get to training for my Top of Utah 1/2 Marathon in September.:)
Thanks Dad for coming to see me finish.
Giving my family high fives on the way in ( and YES, those are kids running behind me. They started the kids K while I was coming around the corner. Kindof embarassing!:)
Is this the finish line?!?!
Pretty sure I'm walking here trying to hug & kiss my kids.
21 comments:
I did not hear the Sonic Boom, but you made it and even had a smile on your face at the end. That is an achievement by itself. I'm proud of you. 26.2 miles is no small feat unless you being carried, and knowing you that would even be worse. You're too tough for that.
Way to go! I think it quite an accomplishment to do run that 26.2 miles! Congratulations on completing the marathon!
SOOOOOOOOOOOOO HAPPY for you!!! What an accomplishment!! I really wish I could have been there...trite I know, but true!
Congrats: You did it. You look pretty fresh I think you should have took a victory lap. Looks like you were saying whens the next one. I'm proud of you that was quite an accomplishment. Love clint
Yay! You finished! I was happy to see you walking around Sunday looking pain free. You all did awesome!
Congrats Meegan! That is such a huge accomplishment! You did so great...it was good to see you guys there. Last night you looked great you would have never known you were sore from the way you were at your party last night. Maybe someday I'll do it with you....(the half that is...but don't hold your breath!)
Megan,
You're awesome. That is truely a great accomplishment and you did it. Looks fun from the pictures, but a bet it took alot of work as well. Way to go! Alison
Wow. I feel like collapsing just reading about your experience. I should have been there to make a movie about it. Next time...
Good job! I'm glad you had a great experience! Those pictures of you at the finish line looked too good. I always look like death at the end.
Wow, and you can hardly even see the urine stain on your socks!
:P
I kid only because you kept telling us you ran in the Urethra division.
My Wife Rules!
Love Philip
Way to go Megan! The feeling is kinda like graduating from college huh! This is great for your kids too, Mom rules! Jude
Good job Megan! Looks like you had a great time. Probably more so when it was all over. I hear marathons test mental strength as much as physical strength and it sounds like you passed the test.
Way to go Megan!
Megan-The question is... will you do another full marathon again??? Maybe the last one is fresh in your memory to think about it yet. Great job! Most people don't run 26 miles in their life you did it in one day! Way to go.
Ang - I'm not holding my breath -- but I'd welcome you any day!:)
Candice - Mental stregth? I was MENTAL to sign up!:)
Molly- I think I will try another one -- I'll just do some smaller ones first and try to learn some training techniques.:) and GREAT job to you woman!!:)
Ben - a movie? Sounds GREAT to me.:)
Jaime - NOPE I didn't look great at the end...unless you call a salt stained face and some nice dried up stuff in my nose looking good.:)
All of you are SOO nice to me -- I wish I could have had you all on the course cheering me on -- maybe I wouldnt' have walked as much.:)
Who am I kidding -- I was TIRED!:)
You are AWESOME! Way to go, I am so impressed you set the goal, trained, and did it.
Love, Rene
Philip is just now figuring that out??????
I know Bart -- who knew I needed to complete a marathon for him to say that!??!:)
I knew she ruled before I married her.
Philip
I am so proud of you! What a tremendous accomplishment! Since I cannot even run to the end of my driveway, I admire very much anyone who can RUN! Very Cool!
Post a Comment