Sunday, August 3, 2008

Not just any old job



There are few professional positions that will take you to a conference and hold religious services for you on Sunday. This morning we were able to attend an LDS Sacrament Meeting in one of the Ballrooms here at Gaylord Opryland Resort in Nashville. It was an impressive sight to see 18 Aaronic Priesthood holders passing the Sacrament to about 500+ of us. They also called on two youth from the local area to bear their testimony. What a great experience.

In adjacent rooms they were holding Jewish, Catholic and Protestant Services. I was very impressed with the consideration put into the decision to have these services. Conference organizers were sensitive to the first line of the Scout Oath -- "On my honor I will do my best to do my duty to God..."

We were privileged to have the Stake Presidency of the local Stake here. Presiding was President Charles Dahlquist of the General Young Men's Presidency. He is a wonderful speaker and gave an excellent talk regarding our ability to have a reassurance of who we are by reading Doctrine and Covenants 35. He challenged us all to go home and read it. He also directed us to remember that when we have trials we should not ask "Why?" but we should ask "What now?" In trying to pattern our lives after Christ -- my thoughts continue to return to service. As we think outside of ourselves we are brought closer to Him.

I felt the spirit as I listened to President Dahlquist's talk and I was impressed. Although I would like to note that I was more impressed with Jason & Rene's family. They were the first family members to Sacrament Meeting (and the ones who had to get the most people ready) There are many temptations here at this awesome resort and the kids showed great respect for their Heavenly Father by attending today.

I have to note as well -- I have been impressed this summer when I see JT's little grey truck in the church parking lot. He is always attending his meetings in Layton even when the rest of the family is at church somewhere in the mountains. What a great example he is as a big brother to his siblings. Nice job JT! (Hope I don't embarass you guys, but you are just an awesome family!:))

It has been a great day -- we have been able to visit with family, see some Scouting exhibits, attend Sacrament Meeting and now we are off to the Opening Dinner where Josh Turner will entertain us. A HUGE, HUGE, HUGE thanks to Alison for tending our kiddos! We know they are doing great and are so thankful!!

5 comments:

Bart said...

Most conventions take care of the social hour with all the booze and hour'doves you want, but rarely will you see them even make an effort to satisfy your spiritual needs. How woderful to be a part of it. We are glad that you all take advantage of these important times. They leave lasting impressions and they shape lives. I guess that's what its all about.

Anonymous said...

Great post, Megan!

Rene Weston-Eborn said...

Sacrament meeting today was a really great experience, thanks for the kind words Megan you are awesome.

It was really nice to sit in a meeting of 500 people next to family.

I too appreciated the talk. what great counsel for us to remember when things happen to us... not to ask "why?" but to ask "what now?"

Julie said...

The more I learn about the BSA, the more I love it. Looks like fun.

ShelleyG said...

VERY cool! What other family do you have in the BSA? It looks like such an amazing job! I have missed your posts! ;)